Book Page Pumpkin Centerpiece

This is my first ever attempt at making a pumpkin out of a hard cover book.  I got the idea while I was on YouTube trying to learn how to make Christmas trees out of magazines and books.  I came across Dalaina Burns' YouTube video, and I thought I could give it a try.

I thought it would make a great centerpiece for the children's Thanksgiving Dinner table.

 I gather my few fallish supplies and attempted to recreate Dalaina's adorable decorated pumpkin.  Since this pumpkin project was a last minute piece of work, I have one advice: Make sure you shop for autumn/fall crafts/decor way ahead of time; not the week prior to Thanksgiving.  All was gone!!!

I used finger paint from the Dollar Tree store, and mixed it in a small spray bottle.  I used red & yellow to make the orange paint.  I added a little bit of water to make the paint less thick, and proceeded to spritz the book pumpkin with it.  I let it dry completely overnight.  The following day, I simply tried to decorate it and make it look as pretty as possible.

I found a fall garland at Dollar General (75% discount), and took the leaves, flowers, berries and pine cones off it.  I used a long piece of jute twine for the little tendrils.
For the jute tendrils, I wrapped a long piece of the jute around a pencil (tightly together) and brushed it with regular white glue.  I let it dry for about 30 minutes, and then slid the curled twine off of the pencil.  I stretched it out a bit and cut about 3 and glued them here and there around the stem.

Oh...BTW...the pumpkin stem is from a branch from one our trees.  It think I cut it too long...maybe I'll cut off some of it to shorten it...we'll see if I get around to doing it.

I just hope our Little Pilgrims think it actually resembles a pumpkin...LOL! 

Comments

Popular Posts