Easy Summer Crochet Coasters

Now that it actually feels like summer, I'm glad I've been making some easy to crochet coasters.  I have been placing these coasters in strategic places throughout home to hold sweating glasses of iced beverages or morning hot coffee.  Easy to make and easy to wash.
BTW..., I picked up the beautiful Lenox Iris coffee cup at a neighbor's garage sale.  I love the design and it makes me feel dainty while drinking out of it.  It's a great way to enjoy a cup of java and the start of a new day!
The idea of making coasters came about after I had several little stashes of leftover cotton yarn while making crochet dishcloths and potholders.  I just couldn't let them sit around and not be made into something useful!
I searched for an easy pattern, and found one at Stitch11.  I did a little tweaking to Corina's crochet pattern though.  I followed the first 2 Rounds, but improvised rounds 3-6.

  • Rounds 1 & 2 ~ see Stitch11 free crochet coaster pattern.  I don't do the magic circle.  I chained 5 or 6 and then joined to make a circle.
  • Round 3: Chain 2 (counts as half double crochet) and 1 half double crochet in same stitch.  2 half double crochets in each stitch to end.  Join to top of chain 2.
  • Round 4: Chain 2 (counts as half double crochet) and 1 half double crochet in same stitch.  **1 half double crochet in next stitch and 2 half double crochets into the following stitch**.  Repeat from ** around.   Join to top of chain 2.
  • Round 5: Chain 2 (counts as half double crochet). 1 half double crochet in following stitch, and then 2 half double crochets into next stitch.  **1 half double crochet in each of the next 2 stitches; and then 2 half double crochets into next stitch**.  Repeat ** around.  Join to top of chain 2.
  • Round 6: Edging ~ chain 1 and 1 single crochet in same stitch. 1 single crochet in each of next 2 stitches.  Picot ~ 1 single crochet in next stitch.  Chain 2 and 1 single crochet in same stitch.  **1 single crochet in each of next 2 stitches.  Picot ~ 1 single crochet in next stitch.  Chain 2 and 1 single crochet in same stitch**.  Repeat ** around. Join with slip stitch to first stitch.
Please note that this is actually my first unofficial written pattern (except for Rounds 1&2), and I hope it's easy to follow.  If the instructions are not clear, please let me know, and I will make corrections.  Thank you!

I hope I have inspired you to pick up your crochet hook!

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

They're gorgeous, Oliva! Thank you very much for the pattern :-) xxx
Yes these are beautiful and thanks for the pattern!
Olivia, those coasters are just beautiful, but I don't crochet! Do you ever consider making sets of 6 to sell? I would love a set of 6 in the blue and white!
Katou said…
Oliva , your coasters are so beautiful ,It's a long time I haven't done "crochet",and you gave me the envy to do it again.
Conniecrafter said…
thanks for sharing would love to give these a try, yours look wonderful!

Popular Posts