Shrimp Gumbo & Pink Saturday

For Valentine's Day Hubby and I usually stay home and celebrate with a homemade dinner.
This year I cooked our dinner: Shrimp Gumbo 
and I loved it.  Hubby not so much.  Shrimp Gumbo is more like a soup, and Hubby prefers his soups thick like stews.  Oh well...
This was the first time I had ever made Creole-Style Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo ever.
The ingredients were easy to find, and I had most on hand.  I didn't realized how labor intensive it was to make it though.  Preparing all of the ingredients was the easy part.  Once you start making the roux which is the first step to gumbo, you basically have to be by the stove/pot just about til the last step.  Anyways after several hours later standing by the stove, I was done and exhausted, but worth making it!
A tip for next time I make Shrimp Gumbo: Make it a day ahead!!!  Not only you will be rested on the day you serve this dish, but the flavor of the gumbo will taste so much better...yummy!
I call it the "Cooking Bible".
I followed the recipe from this cookbook that weighs a ton.  Hubby and I agree that the recipes in this book are the real thing, but you must follow them to a "T".
  ~Creole-Style Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo recipe~
I used the andouille sausage instead of kielbasa.
I also like to make little notes after each recipe I make for future reference.

Needless to say I had a lot of gumbo leftover...so I shared it with my Golfing Girlz at our Happy Hour after golf.  Kate who was born and raised in the South gave me the "thumbs up" for the gumbo.  She said it tasted just like hers...music to my ears!  The other Girlz loved it, and have requested I make it for our next Happy Hour here at my place.  Yeah!

 Now for Pink Saturday...
a tiny bouquet of pinkish flowers and my china with pink cherry blossoms, ....and the pink shrimp!

Comments

Boopnut said…
My poor printer just schizted out! I tried printing this recipe, and it just keeps printing it and printing it!...LOL Looks so yummy! You didn't make any for me?

Popular Posts