Leaping Rib Stitch Crochet Afghan

I made this afghan for my Hubbie so that he can snuggle and keep warm while watching TV or reading the newspaper in his man cave.
This is the very first time that I have ever crochet something this big.  I haven't had a chance to measure the afghan, but it's big enough for Hubby.  He's 6' tall and the afghan covers him from head to toe.
I wanted to try a new pattern that didn't have too many holes, so that when our 2 Chihuahuas cuddle with him, their little feet wouldn't get caught in the afghan.  Most importantly what I love about this pattern is that the front and back look the same.  Also the finished afghan is not too heavy, but still keeps you warm.
The Hubby and the "Chis" are happy with the results, and I'm so proud of myself for actually finishing something this BIG!

I found the pattern on Pinterest and saved it into my crochet board but did not print the pattern or save it to my documents!
A month later when I was almost done with the afghan, I went back to find the pattern to read on how to finish it.  Unfortunately I did not find it!!!  I search and search until I finally gave up, and simply improvise the finishing row.
I swear there was a pattern for this stitch...

So...here's my version of this pattern I have named Leaping Rib Stitch Crochet Afghan.

My pattern sample:

Foundation Row - Make a chain as long as you want for width.  For this sample I worked on a chain of 19 and had a few extra chains.  Turn.

Row 1 - Skip 2 chains and make a double crochet on the third chain.  Make 2 double crochets on the next 2 stitches.  Skip 1 stitch and then make 3 double crochets.

Repeat until the end with 3 double crochets.  Turn.



Row 2 - Chain 3 (= double crochet & 1 chain).  Skip next stitch.  1 leaping double crochet stitch on space stitch.

Now you are going to make a leaping double crochet stitch, but you are to insert hook at the bottom space from the foundation row - see picture below:

Pull yarn through but not too tightly, and...

finish a leaping double crochet stitch.


Make one double crochet on the next stitch, and chain 1 (for space).

Skip next stitch and repeat from: 1 double crochet, 1 leaping double crochet, 1 double crochet and 1 chain; ending with chain 1 and skip next stitch and make one last double crochet.  Turn.


Row 3 - Chain 2 (equals 1 double crochet).  For next stitch make a leaping double crochet stitch, then 1 double crochet and 1 chain.

Skip one stitch and then make 1 double crochet on next stitch; 1 leaping double crochet in space, 1 double crochet on next stitch and chain 1.  Repeat to the end.

For the last double crochet stitch on this row, insert needle on the second chain of previous beginning row (3 chain).  Turn.
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you achieve length of your afghan or other project.  Please check your tension as you go.

Finishing Row - Chain 1 and make a single crochet in the first stitch or top of double crochet.  2 single crochets on the next two stitches.

Now you will make a a single leaping crochet stitch: insert hook on the top of the bottom row leaping crochet stitch (space).

 Pull yarn through and

 finish with a single leaping crochet.

Repeat until end of row.
I did go around the edge of the afghan a made a single crochet edging for a finished look.  You may do so if you like.

Note: If you have any questions regarding my pattern please let me know, and I will make corrections.  I believe this is the second or third time writing down a pattern and for some reason, this pattern was a little trickier to write.  Thank you!

I used Caron Cakes yarn for the first time and I'm very pleased and happy with it.  I actually like the quality of it and was surprised that it has 20% wool.  It took almost 8 skeins of this yarn for the finished afghan.
I bought my yarn at Michaels using my coupons for super discounts.



Now what to make with the last 2+ skeins???

Cooking & Crafting with J & J #123
Share Your Cup Thursday #272

Comments

Hello Oliva, thanks for the congrats on my 5 year blog anniversary!! :)
I love this blanket you made and your husband is going to love using it to keep warm. I love the colors you used for it too!
Have a nice week and a Happy Thanksgiving.
Julie
Conniecrafter said…
You did a beautiful job with this stitch, love the colors too, neat pattern!!
Oliva Ohlson said…
Thank you Connie! Have a great day!
Oliva Ohlson said…
Thank you Julie for always taking the time to stop by! Have a great day!
Very beautiful and cozy looking Olivia! I haven't tried crocheting in years. I always did it too tight. :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Popular Posts