Farewell to August Cross Stitch

August was such a busy month for me out in the garden and I enjoyed every minute of it!  This summer we had nearly perfect weather, even though it was a rainy one.
Almost nearing the end of the month, I realized I had not completed my August cross stitch.  So on a couple of rainy days I took advantage and finished it within two days before the end of August...phew!

I used an old iron trivet which was a thrifty find for about $1.50 at a consignment shop.  The tile was broken which was not a problem for me, because it was perfect for what I had in mind.  Believe it or not I had a hard time finding a trivet.  It took me about 3-4 months to find this one; and within a week I found another one … I couldn't believe it!
I mounted the finished cross stitch onto a 4"x4" blank coaster which I covered in felt as batting. 
I did a raggedy ruffle out of a long strip of torn fabric and sewed it on the back edge of the cross stitch.  To cover the imperfections on the front seam, I hot glued a string of jute.  I put together a bow using leftover pieces of fabric, seam binding and burlap ribbon, plus I added a vintage button from my late mother-in-law's button stash.  Finally I mounted my decorated cross stitch onto the trivet.
Note: finishing style inspired by Priscilla's.
So for about a week I proudly displayed my completed work on this kitchen wall.

So that I wouldn't find myself in the same predicament of being behind, I am already done with the month of October … yeah!!! 

Comments

Nice work. Great way to upcycle and finish it off.

Popular Posts