Plarn Crochet Bag

Back in June I made a crochet bag using recycled grocery store plastic bags.

I was out and about one day, and happened to see this pretty bag this lady was carrying.  I complimented her on her pretty bag, and she went on to tell me that it was made from recycled Home Depot plastic bags.  I couldn't believe it!
I knew that our church ladies' group would crochet mat like blankets using recycled plastic bags to donate for the homeless; but didn't know you could make other things with it.
I did some YouTube & Pinterest tutorial research on recycled plastic bags, and "oh boy!" there's lots of things you can make.  Again I took the best of each tutorial and put myself to work; but first I needed lots of grocery plastic bags.  No problem collecting them.  When I would stop at my grocery store or at Target, I would go through their recycle plastic bag bin, and bring a huge bagful home.
Once home, I would select the bags that I could use, and those I didn't went back to the recycling bin.
Plastic + Yarn = Plarn
Here's the inside of my bag which holds lots of stuff.
I used a variety of different store plastic bags, instead of exclusively using one particular color or store bag.  Since this was my first bag, I learn some things I would do differently for the next one I make.  For example, I will reinforce around the inside of the handles with better crochet stitches; and maybe use only one particular color plastic bag.
In the meantime, I have been collecting more grocery bags and preparing more plarn for a bigger bag.
Honestly, I didn't think I would get complimented on my new bag, but I certainly have several times.

Comments

Barbara said…
I love your plarn bag. I've seen them online too, but haven't tried to make one yet. I love it that your church makes mats for the homeless too. Such a great way to repurpose all those pesky bags. Enjoy your creative crocheting.
That is such a fun idea and your bag is so cute! I'm sure you will get a lot more compliments and use out of it. Thanks for the idea to make this bag.
Thanks too for the lovely visit to my blog. Enjoy your day.

Popular Posts