Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Ticking Pillowcase

While out shopping for good quality pillowcases, I was shocked at the prices...even when I was looking for sales!!!
So...I had no choice but to learn and make my own!
 Ta-dah!!!
My very first handmade pillowcase!
 I wanted to start out with a simple pattern that I could follow and not be too complicated.  I found several pillowcase tutorials on Pinterest, and chose Jen Graham's simple standard pillowcase tutorial (Graham Like the Cracker).  The tutorial was perfect for me.
I wanted my pillowcase to look really finished, and learned how to sew a French Seam.
Eventually, when I'm done with both pillowcases, I will add a crochet edge around it to finish it off (like picture above)!

I'm already thinking that these type of pillowcases would be great as Christmas gifts!!!

3 comments:

  1. So right, pillows are expensive. I made my own several years ago. I had 4 floppy feather pillows for our queen-sized bed and wanted to combine them to make 2 pillows. I bought pillow ticking from Joanne Fabrics online site and then I proceeded to sew. I had researched pillow sizes. I double sewed the outer edge hems to have sturdiness to hold up. I didn't want seams to open up and have feathers all over the place. The worst part was opening the old pillows and transferring feathers, well I did that in my kitchen and no matter how I tried to avoid mess, it still happened. Had the weather been nice I would have done this messy job outside, but it was one of those things I saved for a rainy day. I was happy though with the results. I now have a feather bed that I bought years ago for my youngest daughter, yeah, she "just had to have it" and I spent good money for it. It lasted on her bed about a month and when she got tired of fluffing it daily when making her bed, she threw it in a corner of her closet. I had it dry cleaned and put it in a large garbage bag, stored it in one of my closets. She does not want it. I see pillows it it's future, lol.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty and what a good idea...and another way to use lace. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pretty pillowcases! I have made a lot of seasonal ones for my grands. I just recently made one with a French seam. I'd have to watch the u tube again to remember how. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting & taking the time to leave me a comment! Your comments are so very much appreciated! XOXO