Old School Desks Find

Last week I hit the jackpot on my Thrifty Find hunting … 2 very old school desks for free!!!
 
Desk #1 … 
placed by the front door; and … 
Desk #2 in a corner of our dining room for now.  This is the smaller desk of the two.

You have no idea how long I have been hunting for just one at an affordable price, but to find two for free … I'm beyond words!
~Desk #1 is a bigger one, and goes behind the smaller one pictured above~ 

As you know I love to check Facebook Marketplace and Nextdoor app to find thrifty treasures; and it sure was my lucky day.  The desks had been advertised for sale at first, but no one was interested.  So the owner posted them for free; but there was a catch: who ever took them, had to take both.  At first I wasn't sure if I could fit two desks in our small house here in MN.  I thought about it overnight, and decided that I would find space for both.
The owner told me the story of how he originally got them.  They belonged to his mother, and came from the small school in Northern Wisconsin where she attended school as a child.  When the school closed, she took these two chairs, and her husband refinished them.
I think he said his parents moved away, and then he took them for his two girls.  Lucky for me the girls are now to big to seat at these desks, that he decided to get rid of them.

The desk by the front door is perfect when we or guests come into our home, can easily sit down to remove their shoes off and also to put them back on.
The smaller chair I'm planning to take back to AZ at the end of the month; that is if I have enough room in the car … or if my husband's niece is interested in the smaller one, she can have it.  My Hubby is a retired teacher and his niece is currently working as a teacher in Special Ed.
We'll see what happens … 

Comments

Popular Posts