Overnight Oatmeal

I was inspired to try out basic overnight oats by Julie at Creative Lifestyle after reading her post; and from now on that's how I'm making my morning oatmeal.
I can easily prepare 3-4 jars (or more) at one time for the rest of the week.  I do like to vary my breakfast choices though: from toast, yogurt, cold cereal, 2 scrambled eggs per week, or a smoothie; but during cold weather my favorite is hot oatmeal.

I like adding about 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to my oatmeal, and no sugar or honey.  I have read that cinnamon in your food is helpful in controlling our insulin absorption in the blood, and it controls the energy release into our body as well.  There are more very good health benefits to adding cinnamon to our food.
For over a year now, I have been adding ground cinnamon to my morning coffee, or when I brew a pot of coffee, I add about a half cinnamon stick with the coffee grounds.  In my opinion adding a real cinnamon stick to coffee tastes so much better than ground.

So far this is my basic overnight oats recipe: 
In a jar I add 3/4 cups oats, about a cup of almond milk (vanilla flavored), and about 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.  Refrigerate overnight.
I recycled my canning & glass jars (jam, jelly, olives, pickles, … ).
Since our mornings here in MN are already very cold for "this wimpy Desert person", I warm up my oatmeal in the microwave.  I usually put my jar in the microwave for about a minute and a half, stop, stir oats, and then do another minute in a half, and that is just perfect for warm oats.


So far I haven't tried adding blueberries, sliced bananas, nuts, dried fruits, or nuts.  These ingredients are on my Grocery List though.
I hope you get inspired in giving it a try and have it soon!

Comments

Hi Oliva, oh wow, I am so happy that I inspired you to make the overnight oats. I am so glad you like it for breakfast. I too love that it's easy to set up and have ready in the morning. I will have to try and heat mine up too as this is the way my husband like his oatmeal.

Popular Posts