Cooking and Freezing Pumpkin

Have you ever cooked pumpkins?
I do and it's very easy to do, and your baked goods or soups taste so much better.
Usually at this time of year, I usually buy several pumpkins for fall & Halloween decorations.  We never carve our pumpkins for Jack-o-Lanterns.
When I'm ready to cook my pumpkins, I select a couple of good ones, cut them up and clean them as well.
I cut up the pumpkin into medium size chunks, and place them in a huge pot.  Add a little bit of water (about 2 inches at bottom) and steamed them until the pumpkin is soft and easily poked with a fork; about 40 minutes.
Once the thoroughly cooked pumpkin cools down, I remove all of the peel.
Just so you know, the pumpkin releases lots of liquid.  So I put the cooked and peeled pumpkin chunks in a colander over a big bowl to collect liquid.  Toss liquid.
Once the pumpkin have released most of its liquid, I measure about 2 cups of the cooked pumpkin into freezer bags.  Two cups is the exact amount for most recipes.
I use the pre-measured pumpkin frozen baggies for pumpkin bread, pies, cookies, soups, and more; throughout the year.
I share some of these prepared frozen pumpkin baggies with Mom and family.
It has been years now that I have been doing this, and I have to say that I prefer my cooked pumpkin this way rather than canned.  The pumpkin baked or cooked goods have a fresher taste and lighter in color.
Try it!

Comments

Wow that is a great idea for the pumpkin!
Thank you for the recipe. I always buy 7 or 8 pumpkins to decorate the yard. In the months following, I feed them to the chickens. This year I will reap the bounty of my pumpkins and cook and freeze them. Thank you again. Patty McDonald
Connie said…
I'm going to try this. I have two large squash in the well house that I am sure would make good pies. I've never tried making pies from scratch . . . I always have bought canned pumpkin. Everything else that i've done fresh from the garden has been better, so this will be a fun thing to try. Isn't it great when you know exactly what is going into your families tummies. :)

Popular Posts